Thursday, July 14, 2011

What have I got myself into?

So setting up my Wiki was challenging but not at the same time. I felt that it was a perfect follow up to creating a blog because they are rather similar, but at the same time neither site is exactly the same and I have had to figure out how to now create a Wiki when I finally started getting used to my blog. But overall I understand why we are using the Wiki space and found that the tools on there were very helpful once I found out where they were. It also took me a while to even figure out how to create a new page but I realized that was just my fault and the "add a new page" link was right in front of my face.

 Our organization "The Environmental Working Group" is basically a group aiming to help people in relation to their health and the environment so the pages of our Wiki space were set up surrounding that. Our Wiki is still a work in progress but I think we will both try to take one or two pages for ourselves and research what we can on them so that we don't conflict with each others findings. 

Personally I would have my Wiki page be hot pink...but I didn't think that was appropriate for our organization and didn't exactly think Matt would appreciate it. All the other settings we left alone because its easiest to keep the page simple and uncluttered.

So far the research for this organization has been really interesting. Their website is extremely helpful and has a lot of interesting facts and articles on it. I read this one article already on how to choose the right sunblock (which obviously I haven't because I'm beet red). The website has such an array of topics from the health of children to how to use alternative forms of energy. From what little research I have done as of now, the most interesting thing I found was about how to limit our exposure to cell phone radiation. My parents tell me how bad it is yet I know that I have always just laughed and said yeah right! This article told me how to limit this radiation and what phones are the best to limit that too which I thought was really insightful. Its not like I'm getting a new cell phone anytime soon but its really interesting to see that cell phone radiation actually exists and can effect anybody.

Overall creating the Wiki wasn't too bad of an experience, creating the blog definitely warmed me up to using online tools such as these two. I actually enjoy creating a site that is all my own and that I can say whatever I want and have other people help me to elaborate on my ideas or thoughts

4 comments:

  1. I also had a difficult time creating my wiki I thought is was pretty confusing. I agree that it will be a helpful tool in group work like this it just takes some time getting used to. I think you should have made your wiki page hot pink just to see what he says but that's just me. I also agree that using a blog for a week helped me with using tools like the wikis. It is a whole new thing for me and most likely everyone taking (and participating in) the course. All I know is Facebook and Twitter so its interesting to explore new ways of communicating information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you started following some of the EWG twitters? They have some pretty cool tweets and some useful information to the project that we can post to our wiki. I am currently following 2 different EWG twitters. It is a great way of getting information fast because I get the tweets to my phone so I check whenever. I did take a look at that page and was pretty shocked to see the difference in radiation. I find this organization pretty interesting and want to see more of their updates through twitter and their work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that figuring out how to make a new page took me the longest on this site too..even though it was staring me right in the face. I am glad that you are enjoying researching your organization, it sounds very interesting and I can't wait to read more about it on your wikispace!I always get that cell phone lecture from my parents too! I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I always thought they just didn't like how much I used my phone..buuutt..I guess it is true..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally I think hot pink would've have been perfect for both you and Matt! You sound a lot more calm in this blog compared to the last one, I hope you are feeling a little more comfortable with the course. I agree that the blog prepared me for the wiki, but at the same time it was very different. Your research sounds interesting, I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete