So far, Twitter is surprising me in numerous ways! I always thought it was just some weird website to follow celebrities on but now I can see how easy it is, like Facebook, to connect with my classmates and friends. I was able to create a list to easily find people in this class. The list allowed me to group people together so I could actually tell how I know them. I still have not fully understood the trends because Twitter is worldwide and a lot of specific "trends" I have never heard of, but with the "hashtags" it allows you to just click on a specific trend and it actually brings you right to that page so I can read about it then and there. I don't particularly like the "replays". On Facebook it is a lot easier to see when a person comments on one of your posts because you get a notification, where on Twitter it doesn't show up anywhere except on the timeline. Although you can see who comments on your tweets by going to the @mentions, its hard to know which tweet they are commenting on. Does anyone know how you can more easily tell?
On Facebook my privacy settings are on friends only, just because I don't want people searching my name and creeping on everything. But on Twitter I left my settings open because I think I'm only going to use it for class so it will make it easier for my classmates to find me.
Luckily on Facebook I'm very careful about what I say and what is said to me. My parents, grandparents and many other influential people in my life are my friends on Facebook and I want them to still feel the same way about me no matter what they see on my Facebook. I try to never post any pictures that would be degrading towards me or anyone else and do always think about what other people will say when they see a post or comment made by me. Most of my status' are boring, just about me doing this and that but never too revealing in case the wrong person sees my profile. Most of my post's too are just like hey I miss you type things and I don't think there are many things on my Facebook that could get me in any trouble.
Professionally I think there is nothing that would hurt me during an interview if the employer saw my Facebook profile. I do however think that Facebook and Twitter would be really helpful during my professional career because I can connect with people all over the world regarding physical therapy. I feel that it would help me connect with physical therapists all over the world and would allow me to talk to them about different techniques and even problems we are having.
The Environmental Working Group has multiple Twitter pages, one is the group itself and then another is done by the press secretary. On Twitter there are many tweets involving new media and news but on Facebook the page basically just talks about the group. I think that it will be very helpful following the organization on Twitter because there is an array of information that can tell me more about things people will actually care about.
I agree with you on the comments with twitter. It's hard to tell which comment corresponds to which post and you can't comment on someone else's post unless it's the most recent post. In this aspect, I definitely prefer facebook. But I do kind of like tweeting now that I've gotten used to it :)
ReplyDeleteI had that problem when I first started using twitter it was all very confusing to me. It took about a week or 2 to get used to it but now I love using it to tweet at my friends, use hashtags, and get tweeted back to. For Facebook. I am not friends with my relatives on Facebook just because most of them don't want to know my business haha. Sounds like the opposite of why most people aren't friends with their kids but thats the funny truth. I don't mind it! That is good though that you have nothing that they wouldn't be able to see on Facebook though! Sometimes it's not easy keeping some stuff away from parents! I have been following the EWG on twitter and they post of interesting stuff there with some links that are pretty interesting!
ReplyDelete